YouTube video showing the incredible 5 point scale
The incredible 5 point scale for support with ASD and anxiety
All people live with some level of stress and anxiety but when anxiety gets in the way of daily functioning in school, it becomes a problem. The incredible 5 point scale is a tool to support students with autism who experience anxiety.
Who created the incredible 5 point scale?
Kari Dunn Buron created the incredible 5 point scale. She created this strategy based on many years of working with students who experience autism. This author is committed to positive support for all students. She is passionate about teaching the skills needed for social success.
“More than any other issue for children with anxiety, loss of emotional control can lead to removal from the general education classroom to a more restrictive educational environment equipped to deal with behavior challenges.”When My Worries Get Too Big- Karrie Dunn Buron
Here is a link to the website to find all of her products. https://www.5pointscale.com. To Learn more about the calming sequence featured in this book please read my last post http://behavior-boot-camp-teach-calming-sequence
Some additional notes about the incredible 5 point scale for supporting students with autism and anxiety:
- Many students with ASD learn social interactions by using the incredible 5 point scale
- Emotional responses are identified by the student along with solutions to support each challenge
- This visual representation helps student with autism and anxiety understand their emotions
- Students work with the teacher to identity activities, or other supports that will help them calm down or stay calm
- The incredible 5 point scale supports inclusion by helping students manage their anxiety and stay in class
- The incredible 5 point scale is is an example of a positive behavior support strategy
- Students learn to become self-managers