I learned about this prchool reading program called 1000 Books Before Kindergarten from a friend who lived in another state. Her library had a program in place to track and provide incentives for children to read 1000 books before entering Kindergarten. Our local library had not yet started a program so my son (who was an infant at the time) and I logged the books we read with the phone app. The phone app. can be downloaded and used on your smart phone. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1000-books-before-kindergarten/id779280401.
Program Mission for 1000 Books Before Kindergarten
The 1000 Books Foundation is operated exclusively for charitable, literary, and educational purposes.
The objectives of this organization are:
- to promote reading to newborns, infants, and toddlers
- to encourage parent and child bonding through reading
Certificate: After each milestone, 100, 200, 300 etc. books read, I printed from the website a certificate showing how many books had been read. The website provides certificates that can be printed out if you want to follow along at home. Click the link here to find the printable certificates https://1000booksbeforekindergarten.org/1000-books-before-kindergarten-program/
This program is perfect for homeschooled preschoolers, as a summer reading incentive program and preschools can adopt this program as well!
Recently our local library decided to adopt the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program. I was SO thrilled they got on board! We went in and got credit for the 500 books my son had already read and logged on our app. Each child gets a circle for every 100 books read, to add to their reading worm. All of the reading worms are on display on the library wall.
This library in particular has the following incentives:
- After reading 100 books, the child can pick out a book to take home
- After reading 300 books the child gets a stamp to stamp their reading worm
- After reading 900 books the child can get a gift card for local venders
- After 1000 books, the worm turns into a butterfly and the child gets a certificate that they read 1000 books
Reading to your child has soooo many benefits including:
- Early sound and letter recognition
- Expands creativity
- Teaches children new concepts and vocabulary words
- Teaches the relationship between sounds and letters
On the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten website, they cite the research:
“Reading has been associated as an early indicator of academic success.”
The goal of the program:
“Our goal is to provide a simple, innovative yet fun approach to establishing strong early literacy skills. We help young children gain the confidence necessary to become strong readers.”
Check out the website: https://1000booksbeforekindergarten.org
In the comments tell me your favorite early childhood literature book!