A free and easy way to start building relationships with students is by meeting and greeting them at the classroom door every morning. Head Start has foverever had this as a policy so they can do head checks (for lice), health checks and check in with the student emotionally before school starts. Here are some reasons every teacher should meet and greet students every morning:
- This morning greeting gives a chance for one on one interaction every day.
- If a child shows up sick a teacher can catch this right away.
- Students are more likely to start their day feeling “present” when they have had a chance to check-in with their teacher first thing in the morning.
- It is safe to know which students are at school and which students have not shown up before starting your day.
- Any trauma, or other issues the student may have experienced at home can be “heard” by the teacher first thing in the morning.
- Students are more likely to show up to school knowing their teacher is “waiting” for them and wants to see them.
This is one of my favorite videos showing a teacher greeting all of his students with a unique and individualized greeting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0jgcyfC2r8.
How do you greet your students every morning?